Dose: 40 minutes or until symptoms ease
Frequency: As needed
Please note your response to question one before taking the digital dose and completing the remainder of the clinical form. Ensure your headset is adjusted to a comfortable volume, relax and breath deeply during the course of the session.
Excessive exposure to noise sources, such as road traffic and building construction, can have adverse effects on people, from annoyance to increased fatigue and impaired performance to severe health problems1. When coupled with severe illness, surgery, accident, and/or physical and psychological or emotional trauma, individuals can develop symptoms of chronic fatigue and experience debilitating effects on quality of life2.In contrast, sound has also been shown to promote faster recovery from stress and mental fatigue3. A growing body of literature now supports the effect of delta (1-4Hz) & theta band (4-8 Hz) binaural beats on chronic fatigue sufferers4, as this is the frequency at which brain activity is entrained during non-rapid eye movement (NREM) in sleep stage one5. In addition, combining binaural beats with visual stimulus could be used for relieving negative emotions and increasing positive emotions for users. Our findings suggest that this could provide an effective way of reducing CFS6.
1. Passchier-Vermeer W, Passchier WF. Noise exposure and public health. Environ Health Perspect. 2000;108(Suppl 1):123–31. [PMC free article] [PMC free article] [PMC free article]
Evans GW, Bullinger M, HyggeS Chronic noise exposure and physiological response: A prospective study of children living under environmental stress. Psychol Sci. 1998;9:75–7. [PMC free article]
Jahncke H, Hygge S, Halin N, Green AM, Dimberg K. Open-plan office noise: Cognitive performance and restoration. J Environ Psychol. 2011;31:373–82. [PMC free article]
Boman E, Enmarker I, Hygge S. Relative strength of noise effects on memory processes in pupils and teachers depending on noise source and age. Noise Health. 2005;7:11–26. [PMC free article] [PMC free article]
2. Roberts D. (2018). Chronic fatigue syndrome and quality of life. Patient related outcome measures, 9, 253–262. PMC free article
Ene S. Faces of fatigue: ethical considerations on the treatment of chronic fatigue syndrome. AJOB Neurosci. 2013;4(3):22–26. [PMC free article]
3. Alvarsson JJ, Wiens S, Nilsson ME. Stress recovery during exposure to nature sound and environmental noise. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2010;7:1036–46. [PMC free article] [PMC free article] [PMC free article]
4. Rios LM, Glanzmann JH. Application that handles brain waves by means of binaural frequencies. Bachelor's degree completion work seminars in information systems 2015;1(1).
Bonilla V, Alexander C, Benitez P, et al. System for monitoring brain waves in studies of binaural pulses with theta rhythm on cognitive and emotional processes. USFQ 2016;
Góes LG. Binaural beats: Brain wave induction and the use of binaural beats to induce brain wave patterns. Curr Res Integr Med 2018;3(2):15-17.
5. Berry, R. B. (2018). The AASM Manual for the Scoring of Sleep and Associated Events: Rules, Terminology and Technical Specifications. Darien, IL: American Academy of Sleep Medicine
6. Lee M, Song C-B, Shin G-H and Lee S-W (2019) Possible Effect of Binaural Beat Combined With Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response for Inducing Sleep. Front. Hum. Neurosci. 13:425. doi: 10.3389/fnhum.2019.00425